Thursday, September 3, 2009

I did it!


I did it, I really did it. After 15 months of searching and planning and writing and gambling, I finally achieved my dream: a full-time job and an apartment in the city.

I decided in June of 2008 that living in small-town South Dakota just wasn’t cutting it for me anymore. I enjoyed small town life, but I felt like my life was missing something. So I started the job search, had a few interviews and finally accepted an internship.

I know I was a little crazy to leave a nice full-time job that I enjoyed for a temporary internship. But after spending nearly a year looking for a job and not having much luck, I was ready to give it a shot. Now I feel like I won the jackpot!

You see, it turns out, I LOVE working in public relations and especially love the firm atmosphere. I enjoy working with the media, I enjoy getting paid to spend one to three hours reading the news every day and I love seeing a story that I pitched show up in the news (which happens quite often). I’m excited to grow my skills and some day work directly with the clients and I can’t wait to learn more about the business side of PR. I want to know how to find new business, win new business and then develop a communication strategy for the new business, as well as learn how to keep current clients happy.

I feel extremely lucky that I’m going to be able to do that at Hill & Knowlton and even luckier to know that in four short months I developed enough contacts in the Chicago public relations world to have the opportunity to interview at two other firms. At this point in my career, I know my current position of assistant account executive on the H&K public affairs team is the best one for me.

Now that I have a full-time job with benefits and a steady paycheck, I can complete the last piece of the city-life puzzle: move into the city! And I think I won the jackpot in living arrangements, too.

I am a social person and really enjoy living with my family in the suburbs because I’m always in the middle of the action. I decided that living with roommates would be a better fit for me than living alone, but I really didn’t want to find a roommate on Craig’s list. Again, lady luck was on my side and one of my coworkers told me about three people who were looking for a fourth roommate.

They have a beautiful four-bedroom apartment in Lincoln Park (my neighborhood of choice), just steps from the Fullerton el stop (super convenient commute!). The apartment has hard wood floors, 10-foot ceilings, central air, dishwasher and in unit washer/dryer. And, the roommates are super sweet and looking for someone to be part of their “family.” I couldn’t ask for a better scenario and it turned out, I met all their criteria, too!

So now I’m in transition, trying to figure out when and how to move my stuff into my new apartment. I’m also still in shock. I don’t have to look for a job anymore. I don’t have to look for an apartment anymore. I can just relax and enjoy living my dream that I’ve been working towards for 15 long months. And as cheesy as that may sound, that thought always makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! I LOVE this post to your blog (especially the photo). I'm so excited you are moving to the City and it is all coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did it! You deserved it big time. I'm so happy for you! I'm gonna share the good news with the team back here at Dak. Please keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete