Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New City, New Style


For the last ten years, I have sported essentially the same hair cut. Sure, I may have worn it long and short and every length in between, but it’s been the same concept: bob, some layers, no bangs and split down the middle.

Now that I’m starting a new life in a new city with a new career, I thought I should try a new, updated style. Choosing a stylist in Chicago is both better and worse than choosing a stylist in Brookings, S.D., for the same reason: many more stylists at many more price ranges work in Chicago. How do you choose one? How do you choose the right one?

At my aunt’s brilliant suggestion, I read reviews that Chicago magazine wrote on many different types of stylists, including the best stylist in the city for curly hair. The short description sold me; I quickly made an appointment with Brad Hough at Sine Que Non immediately.

After making the appointment, I felt kind of silly for choosing a stylist in Albertville as it’s not near work or near home. It’s the same feeling I have whenever I ask a new salon for a stylist that specializes in curly hair. But once I met Brad, I knew the trip would be worth it.

Immediately I could tell Brad was better than other stylists I had visited in the past. He spent lots of time asking me questions to figure out what I wanted, which proved to be quite difficult since I wasn’t sure. This challenge didn’t seem to bother him and he offered many suggestions before we agreed on a style. When he started cutting, he had a sense of accuracy I hadn’t experienced before. And while he cut, he was very friendly – both asking me about my life and telling me about his. He also had lots of advice for me: different products I could use in my hair, different ways I could style it and tips on how to care for my curls.

The finished product made me very happy because it met all of my requirements: a new trendy style, short for the summer and easy to manage. And it seems that every time I see a friend or family member they compliment my hair. Tree months into the style, I continue to receive compliments on my hair. Fellow curly hair girls living in Chicago, I highly recommend checking out Brad. You won’t be disappointed.



That's me just days after Brad cut my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment