Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wine Country USA



















"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." -- Benjamin Franklin

I agree with our founding father, wine makes life just a little bit better and for that reason, I wanted to visit Sonoma and Napa during my trip to San Francisco.

Phil, the phenomenal host, drove me across the Golden Gate bridge on that partly cloudy Sunday to take the trip to Wine Country. I couldn't believe how quickly the landscape changed from buildings to rolling hills filled with happy cows (because happy cows come from California).

Phil and I decided to be spontaneous that day and just pull into wineries that we found interesting. Of course we started with the first one that included the sign "Free Tastings." We tasted a mix of red and white wines at Roche Winery; I'd like to return to the beautiful estate someday, maybe take a horseback tour of the vineyards next time!

After Roche, Phil and I visited Viansa Winery, a gorgeous estate, fashioned in an Italian style. They didn't mark the front door very well, so Phil and I accidentally took a tour of the barrell room before finding the tasting room. Here we tried five white wines, including two Chardonnays and an Arneis. I had never heard of Arneis before. I learned that's because arneis grapes are only grown in Italy and at Viansa vineyards. I really enjoyed the crisp, fruity flavor so much that I bought a bottle of the wine to take back with me to South Dakota.


We decided to mix it up a little with the next stop and try some sparkling wine at Gloria Ferrer Winery. We each ordered a different variety of sparkling wine (not Champagne because Champagne is only found in Champagne, France) and shared our glasses while enjoying the lovely view of the Sonoma countryside. Gloria Ferrer serves amazing almonds with their sparkling wine. They coat the fresh almonds in olive oil and delicious spices. We finished the stop with wine-filled chocolates.

At this point Phil and I realized we had spent our entire afternoon in Sonoma County and I really wanted to visit the famous Napa Valley. We decided not to stop again until we reached Napa. We drove until Phil spotted Robert Mondavi Winery: "A symbol of Napa Valley since 1966" and decided we had to stop. I mean, it is a symbol of Napa Valley. Unfortunately, by the time we arrived it was after five, so they weren't doing tastings anymore. But I still had the opportunity to visit the grounds and see the famous archway.

Disappointed that we missed the last tasting, Phil and I climbed back into the car and decided to dine in Napa, since it was likely that all the wineries were closed for the day. But our hearts rose and plans changed when we spotted the last stop on our winery tour: Peju.

Phil and I were first drawn to the winery because of its sign that said, "Hours: 10 - 6 daily." Once we turned in, the grand tower and garden took our breath away, even in the evening rain. Inside the building was even more stunning than the garden, with marble floors and gorgeous stained glass windows. But it wasn't the exquisiteness or the delicious wine that made this my favorite stop of the tour, it was the wine pourer who made all the difference. Not only did he pour wine, make jokes and give excellent restaurant recommendations, but he also yodels. Phil and I lucked out that day because Alan "The Yodelmeister" Arnopole poured our wine at Peju. Google him on YouTube. Of course I bought a bottle of delicious Zinfandel from Alan.

I highly enjoyed tasting the wines, seeing the scenery and spending some quality time with my good friend Phil. I also learned a lot on my tour. I learned about wine, California and how I much I truly love wine. I think I need to add "Drink more wine" to my Coffee Cup List. Because as Ernest Hemingway said, "Wine is the most civilized thing in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment